Drillster has different options for you to create questions. In this article will be explained how to create these different type of question styles. Different types of question styles makes learning fun. Besides, the learner can practice the knowledge in different ways.
To create a multiple choice question, fill in the question and the correct answer option. When the first correct line has been inserted, you can press enter and your new answer option will appear.
Drillster shows a new input screen. Here you can insert a new line. You can choose from:
- Correct alternatives:
This is an additional correct answer
- Incorrect alternatives:
These answers are also called distractors. When incorrect answers are introduced Drillster will also show these answers when practising or testing the questions with the multiple choice option.
- To add a correct alternative:
- Typ the correct alternative where the cursor appears.
- Then click “Add” to insert the correct alternative.
- To add incorrect alternatives (wrong answer, distractor). When you have added a positive feedback, the second feedback you will enter will be automatically a negative feedback. When you only want to add a negative feedback you need to click on the positive "check" to convert it to an "x" and the feedback will be shown after a wrong answer.
Alternatives that have been added as incorrect will be shown crossed so the editor can see a clear distinction between correct and incorrect answers. Per question a maximum of 8 answer options will be shown when practising. Per question you can enter a larger amount of alternatives, but only 8 of these options will be shown when practising with Drillster.
To create an 'Answer set' or an 'Answer sequence' fill in the multiple answers and set the setting on 'answer set sought' or 'answer sequence sought' by clicking on the setting wheel.
- Answer set sought
There are several correct answers and all correct answers must be selected or typed in. An example of a question with several correct answers is “Name all 4 properties of process X?” The answers will only be counted as correct when all 4 correct answer options have been selected or entered. The order in which the answers are given is not relevant.
- Answer sequence sought
There are several correct answers. All correct answers must be selected or typed in, in the right order. An example of a question with several correct answers is “In which sequence are the seasons played in Vivaldi's Four Seasons?” The answers will only be counted as correct when all 4 seasons are entered in the right order.
To create an open question type in the question and the correct answer.Next, click the settings wheel and set the Question style on "open ended only" and the Answer style on "single answer sought".
To create an open question with multiple answer options, first create the open question by typing in the question and leave a space empty to fill in a word by using a placeholder. Us the placeholder sign for this (see image below)
Next, click the setting wheel and set the Question style on “open ended only” and the Answer style on “answer set sought”.
Drillster now shows the question by presenting two blank spaces to fill in.
With the licence you can turn text into speech. Drillster will transfer the entered text into computer generated speech fragments. This way dictation tests or listening skills exercises can be created for example for language education.
Pay attention: When changing a column into a text-to-speech column, we advise you to copy the Drill first, so the original Drill stays available. To duplicate a drill you have to go to the "Drill details" page and click on the three bullet points and click on "Duplicate".
To turn text into speech:
- Go to "Repertoire"
- Select the Drill for which text shall be converted to speech. If the original needs to be saved first duplicate the drill.
- Click on the three bullet points next to the Drill and click “Edit” on the right of the Drill name. The edit-screen will be shown.
- Now click the blue menu button. The menu will be unfolded.
- Click "produce speech".
Drillster shows a menu in which the correct language can be selected in a female or male voice. Selecting an option makes an example of the voice play. There are ten languages available.
- Select the language and voice of your choice. The example can be played again by clicking "play sample".
- Click "convert". Drillster will now convert the text to speech.
After Drillster finished converting the text, the new column with sound fragments appears. A sound fragment looks like a round orange play icon.
- Move the mouse over the orange buttons to listen to the sound fragments.
- Before adjusting the exercise, the original text column can be removed or be changed into the known column.
With Drillster you can also create a dictation exercise.
- Click the blue menu-button on the right, next to the sound fragments' column's title. A menu is unfolded.
- Choose “Assign as known”. This way, the column with sound fragments will become the known column.
- An extra column containing the audio fragments is added. The original column containing the text may be removed. This can be done by selecting the "remove" option from the drop down menu.
- The Drill now consists of 2 columns. The first column contains the sound fragments, the second column contains the written text belonging to the sound fragments.
- Now click “Advanced options”.
- Click “Productive practicing only”.
- Click “Open ended only”.
- The dictation exercise is now ready. Drillster will always present the user with a sound fragment and the user needs to type in the spoken text when practicing or testing.
Listening skills exercises can also be created this way. The sound fragments can be put in the “Known column” as well as in the “Unknown column”. The “Multiple choice only” option can be selected. Depending on the specifics of the listening exercise, Drillster will play the sound fragment, making the user choose from several answer options (productive practicing only, multiple choice only), or Drillster will show text and lets the user choose from different sound fragments (receptive practicing only, multiple choice only). Multiple drills can be made with the same content, teaching the knowledge in several ways.
Drillster has an option to add mathematical formulas. By adding formulas with this option, a user will see the same formula, guaranteed. The formulas can be added by using MathML-code.
To add formulas:
- Click the MathML icon.
- A window will open in which you can add the MathML-code.
- Click "convert"
- Drillster shows the formula in the column.
Drillster has an option to add hotspot images. These are images in which the user needs to click the right area. Drillster will count the answer correct when the right area has been clicked.
To add hotspot images you need to take two steps:
- The image must first be added to the drill and the areas must be selected.
- Click settings underneath the company name.
- Under 'Hot spot images' you can click "Add" and select the right image.
- When you have added the image this will appear next to the "Add"-button.
- Click the added image.
- A new window appears in which you can select the areas.
- To select a new area you click the starting point in the screen.
- From here you select every next point in the area. Drillster sets straight lines between points by default. For a squared area you only need to select the corners. For an area with several angles (like Limburg in the example) you need to follow the entire perimeter of the image.
- When all points have been selected, click the last point while holding "shift".
- At the bottom of the page you can adjust the name of the selected area.
When the hotspot image has been added, it can be entered into the columns as an answer.
- Go to the hotspot logo (see picture underneath) and click on it.
- Then select the area by clicking on it.
- Drillster has now added the Hotspot image.
To set multiple correct answers for the hotspot image, multiple areas should be selected when adding the hotspot image as an answer.
- Go to the hotspot logo and click on it.
- Then select the area by clicking on it.
- Drillster has now added the Hotspot image.
- Change the ‘Answer style’ to “answer set sought”
Pay attention: To save the changes made in a drill, a drill has to be released first. This can be done by clicking “Release this version” on top of the page. Once a drill version is released, the changes that are made can be seen by practicing the drill. Furthermore, you can publish it in the drill store, forward it to other users, define tests for it *, add it to groups* and more. *(if your account allows you to)